9.16.2008

And I Rant, I Rant So Far Away...

I couldn't get away…



With apologizes to Flock of Seagulls, this cheesy play on Mike Score's words seemed both appropriate and too lame to resist. I'll explain why…

Today I found myself engaged in the same battle I've been waging in the BMX media since I penned my first freelance story in 1979. The subject this time (again!): my relevance (or lack thereof) in the sport and industry. My opponent: a young, idealistic, supremely self-confident and opinionated BMX journalist at a leading internet forum

For me, reading the blogmaster's initial post was like looking in the mirror. Here was a kid who loves BMX so much he created what ranks among the most popular link farms in the business. While I've never owned a media empire, I've built some ramps, designed some products, sponsored some riders, hosted some contests, organized some races and made some ads that were successful by some generally accepted measure. If my own defense on the matter of a simple bicycle sprocket seemed antagonistic or vainglorious, I'll have to live with that guilt.

What I won't do, however, is get in any more pissing matches on the Internet.

I'm too old, life's too short, and the stakes are too low.

Besides, wasn't it an even more famous whipping boy named Rodney King who said, "Can't we all just get along?"

Words to live by, brother.






Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments: